I recently saw some very disturbing news regarding Identity Theft in the Bonita/Estero/Naples News Press. Here are the facts:
- FLORIDA has the highest rate of Identity Theft in the nation.
- The top 5 cities in the country for Identity Theft are in FLORIDA.
- Naples is second on the list and Ft Myers/Cape Coral is fourth
- Miami has the highest rate of Identity Theft and Tampa/St Pete is third.
- There are 361 Identity Theft complaints per 100,000 residents in Florida, almost twice the second highest state, Georgia.
- The fastest growing segment of Identity Theft is Income Tax fraud.
- US Attorney Wilfredo Ferrer reports his office has prosecuted 270 cases since 2012, involving 449 Million dollars in fraudulent Tax Returns.
- The IRS intercepted 260,000 fraudulent tax returns in 2011, involving 1.4 Billion dollars.
I will publish a list of precautions regarding Tax Identity Theft in my next blog.
The most important things to remember are to file as early as possible and file electronically.
If you are the least bit concerned about Tax Identity theft or Identity Theft in general, do not hesitate to call CPA Accounting and Tax Solutions at 239-596-6050 or email me at email@example.com.
Also, I posted a number of links on our Web Site, in our BLOG section. These web sites are excellent sources of Identity Theft information. Our Web Site is WWW.CPAACCTAX.COM.
Knowledge and awareness are your best protection. Be proactive in learning about this Identity Theft crime and how to protect yourself.